nd.gov - The Official Portal for North Dakota State Government
North Dakota: Legendary. Follow the trail of legends
North Dakota Parks and Recreation Department
 

CCC Worker at Fort Abraham Lincoln

Fort Abraham Lincoln

Fort Abraham Lincoln State Park is one of the outstanding historic areas within the state. The park is made historically important because within its boundaries are the ruins of On-A-Slant Mandan Indian Village and the Fort Abraham Lincoln cavalry and infantry posts.

The land itself was deeded to the state in 1907 by President Theodore Roosevelt. Park development started in 1934 by the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC), who built the visitor center, earthlodges, blockhouses, shelters and roads. They also placed cornerstones to mark buildings at the infantry and cavalry posts.

“The Worker” Statue commemorates the valuable contributions of the CCC across this great country from 1933 to 1943. The depression-era decade was a critical period in American history to work performing jobs on public works projects.

These young men developed state parks, city and county parks, national parks and wildlife refuges, restored historic structures, built bridges, planted trees to stop erosion, built roads and community structures and much more across North Dakota.

This statue is #39 dedicated on June 14, 2007 and is one of 62 across the country honoring the men and works of the Civil Conservation Corps.

Fort Abraham Lincoln State Park is located 7 miles south of Mandan, ND on Highway 1806.