Fort Abraham Lincoln State Park in North Dakota is one of the outstanding historic areas within the state. The park is made historically important because within its boundaries are the ruins of On-A-Slant Mandan Indian Village and the Fort Abraham Lincoln cavalry and infantry posts.
The land itself was deeded to the state in 1907 by President Theodore Roosevelt. Park development started in 1934 by the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC), who built the visitor center, earthlodges, blockhouses, shelters and roads, and placed cornerstones to mark buildings at the infantry and cavalry posts.
Additional development took place in the late 1980s and 1990s, with the
reconstruction of the commanding officer's house, commissary storehouse,
enlisted men's barracks and granary, all on the cavalry post grounds; and
the Council Lodge in the On-A-Slant Village.