End: Saturday, September 23, 2023 - 09:00 am Categories:
Get ready for the return of the 2023 Cardio & Coffee Trail Running Series at Fort Abraham Lincoln State Park! This one-of-a-kind event will elevate outdoor fitness by adding in the enjoyment and education of the finest specialty roast coffee. We’ve taken a typical morning run and turned it into an energy-driven morning on the most beautiful and legendary trails of Fort Abraham Lincoln State Park.
There are five scheduled Saturdays in the 2023 series. Each Saturday morning the trail run will consist of a unique four-mile run. Each run will be followed up with a tasting of a specialty roast coffee brewed to perfection, served on the deck of the Commissary Store. The event is sponsored by the North Dakota Parks and Recreation Department and Coal Country Coffee Company
Dates are: May 27, June 17, July 22, August 26 and September 23 *Dates may be subject to changes*
- We will start and end at the Commissary Gift shop on Cavalry Square at Fort Abraham Lincoln.
- Please arrive between 7:30 am and 7:45 am – the Commissary building will be open for restrooms prior to the run.
- All ages are welcome to participate, we recommend participants be able to easily run 5K unassisted. Participants should also consult their doctor before starting any moderate-level fitness activity.
- We will plan to get started at 8 am each morning. Coffee will be served outside the Commissary by park staff accompanied by a brief educational talk on the featured coffee.
- The trail route will not be marked, but maps highlighting the route will be provided.
- Average running time will be about 50 minutes to 1 hour
- The running pace will be a moderate 10 to 12-minute miles for a distance of about four miles. Feel free to stick with the ranger's pace or don't hesitate to run at a slower pace that fits your fitness level. There will be one or two short stops along the way in order for the group to stick together.
- The running routes will be on the park's multi-use trails. These are dirt/gravel trails with moderate level inclines and declines. The multi-use trails in some areas may contain unlevel ground. Be aware of typical trail challenges. Trails are not stroller friendly
- Wear supportive running shoes and come prepared for running on dirt/gravel/grass trails. For those warm summer mornings, small containers with water are recommended.
- Cancellations due to weather or excessive rain the night before will be made at 6:30 am the morning of the trail run. Cancellation notice will be posted to our Facebook Page and other social media sites. Keep in mind the run will likely still proceed with light rain and or moderate rain the night before.
The event is FREE with an ND State Parks Annual Pass, or $7 vehicle registration at the entrance to the park. Don't have an ND State Parks Annual Pass, you can make that purchase online. For more information about the event call 701-667-6340.